It’s great news that domestic burglary is on the decline in England and Wales. According to the Office of National Statistics, properties are now 3 times less likely to be a victim of domestic burglary than twenty years ago. But the latest figures show that there were still 6.5 million incidents against households and residents last year.
We know that in winter months crime figures increase. Last year, there were 104,400 cases of domestic burglary between October 2014 and March 2015 – an increase of 12.7% compared to the number of incidents between April and September 2014.
Now it’s that time of year again. It’s getting darker earlier in the evening and lighter later in the morning. Thieves target homes at night when it’s easier to stay hidden and in the winter, that time is increased.
Ensuring you have basic security measures at home can help. Statistics have shown that 6 percent of homes with no, or less than basic security were victims of burglary but only 1 percent of households with either basic or enhanced security were.
These statistics are based on ‘basic’ being defined as having locks on windows and double locks or deadlocks on external doors.
At Trade Windows our product range has excellent levels of security with cleverly-designed locks and hardware to make sure your home is really secure.
Our windows and composite doors even have the fantastic ERA Five Star Guarantee which offers top security and a package of benefits worth up to £5,000 in the unlikely event of product failure. And with your ERA Guarantee, you can even save money on your home insurance.
The high security range of casement and tilt & turn windows is accredited under Secured by Design, the police flagship initiative for designing out crime.
There are lots of other practical things you can do to make your home less of a target in the darker months:
- Make your home look occupied – use timer switches for lights if you’re out in the evening or away on holiday.
- Close curtains and blinds in the evenings so your valuables aren’t on show.
- Install a security light so that you can see out into the garden.
- A burglar alarm installed on the front of your house is a good visual deterrent.
- Make sure you set alarms and lock front doors if you’re out in the back garden enjoying fireworks or bonfires.
- Be vigilant. Lock your windows and doors before you leave the house and before going to bed.
- Secure out buildings like sheds and garages – they can be easy targets in the dark.
For more information on secure windows and doors, the ERA Five Star Guarantee or Secured by Design products, pop into our showroom on London Road in Derby and have a chat with our team.